Current career opportunities
FirstWorks is a private nonprofit [501c(3)] organization that enhances the cultural, educational and economic vitality of our community by engaging audiences with world-class performing arts and education programs. Since its founding in 2004, FirstWorks has served over 375,000 people. With a budget of $1.5M, annual programs include PVDFest, the Artistic Icon Series, the Frontiers Series, and an arts education program which reaches over 4,000 Rhode Island students in 32 schools.
FirstWorks seeks an individual with superior management skills to serve as Senior Director. Reporting to the Executive Artistic Director and serving as a key member of the management team, the SD will lead the team in finance, administration, and technology, and assume other duties, including operations, business planning, and marketing.
The SD will play a critical role in partnering with the Executive Artistic Director to implement strategic programs as FirstWorks continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for an individual having management expertise and a track record of creative, strategic thinking to join a well-respected, mission-driven organization.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Start Date: June 2017
• Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems and controls
• Create timely financial reports and analysis
• Develop financial projections; project/program ROI
• Manage organization budget
• Facilitate budgeting process
• Day-to-day accounting, including invoicing, donor tracking, and Box Office reconciliations
• Streamline operational systems, processes and policies for Development, Marketing, Box Office, IT, and Finance
• Manage and make improvements to CRM database, creating records and utilizing system capabilities
• Implement a robust contracts management/procurement, reporting, contract billing and collection systems
• Coordinate the annual audit process with auditors and FW finance committee
Administration and Human Resources
• Oversee administrative functions to ensure efficient operations
• Monitor implementation plans, adherence to deadlines, and metrics
• Develop systems and accountability procedures
• Manage employee handbook updates, employee benefits, subcontractor agreements, payments, and performance review process
• Budget development and tracking
• Website operations and social media investments
• Sales strategies
• Evaluation tools to measure campaign effectiveness
• At least 5 years’ experience in management
• Degree in business or related field
• Excellent computer, database management, and proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, QuickBooks online, project management tools, and knowledge of SalesForce based CRM tool is helpful
• Experience in marketing, web and social media communications
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Budget oversight experience
• Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills
• Affinity for the arts
• Commitment to connecting art with audiences and FirstWorks core values:
~Creativity and artistic excellence
~Arts and social impact
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health & dental care and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts and bettering the lives of children in Providence and across Rhode Island. FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send:
• A cover letter, resume, and 1 to 3 multi-page work/writing samples—include one example of a project management document
• The names and contact information for 3 professional references
Send applications to to email@example.com. Include position title in subject line. Or by mail to FirstWorks, 275 Westminster Street Suite 501, Providence, RI 02903
MARKETING AND PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
There is an opportunity for a motivated, organized and creative intern to join the FirstWorks team. This person will gain hands-on experience in multiple aspects of program and marketing implementation, including educational and performance programs, artist liaison, outreach, and assisting in the general day-to-day operations of the FirstWorks office.
We are seeking interns who are available from 15 to 20 hours a week. Both graduate level and qualified under-graduate students may apply. The intern will report to Managing Director, Peter Bramante and work broadly with other members of the FirstWorks staff.
Scope of responsibilities includes:
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials, implement marketing functions/assist with social media etc.
• Assist with general office projects, data entry, and database reporting
• Assist Production with details relating to needs at upcoming educational & performance venues
• Assist with house management at FirstWorks events
Term: Position available for Fall and Winter 2017
Valuable skills include:
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong organizational ability
• Familiarity with CRM databases
• Strong social media skills
Required skills include:
• Fully fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• Available to staff events on week nights & weekends where needed
• Enthusiasm for the arts
Depending upon a candidate’s interests and skills, special projects such as box office management, production coordination, or sponsorship development may be devised as part of this internship.
FirstWorks brings exceptional world-class performing arts experiences to Rhode Island, impacting the cultural, educational and economic vitality of the community. Launched in 2004, FirstWorks has since produced 25 groundbreaking arts festivals and programs that have attracted more than 360,000 participants and presented over 60 premiere performances. FirstWorks has offered Rhode Islanders unprecedented access to some of the most exciting artists of this time, including Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Wynton Marsalis, Rosanne Cash, the Joffrey Ballet, and international masters from the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and Europe. The FirstWorks Arts Learning Program works with over 80 public and charter schools across Rhode Island to provide students, particularly those from underserved communities, direct connection with world-class performing artists and creative thinkers.
Please submit cover letter, resume, one writing sample, and two academic references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Be sure to include the term “Internship” in the subject line.***