Current career opportunities
Are you highly organized? An “11” on a scale of 1 to 10? – FirstWorks, one of Rhode Island’s fastest growing arts non-profits is looking for an outgoing individual with exceptional organizational skills and an affinity for the Arts.
FirstWorks is a non-profit that enhances the cultural, educational, and economic vitality of our community through world-class performing arts, education programs, and as the Founding Creative Partner for PVDFest. FirstWorks’ public performances, whether with iconic guest artists or world-class local ensembles, are framed with extensive community interaction and provide pathways to opportunities for 4,000+ low-income students in Rhode Island.
The FirstWorks Administrative Coordinator assures the smooth operation of FirstWorks across office operations, data, and programs. Vital to the management of the entire organization, the AC must be detail-oriented, highly organized, capable of synthesizing complex information, and be proficient in CRM (Customer Relationship Management) Databases, Accounting and MS Office suite applications. The AC provides assistance to the Executive Artistic Director as well as broad support for Administration, Programs, Marketing, and Institutional Advancement. S/he facilitates internal communications and is often the first line of communication with the outside world. The AC reports to the Director of Business Operations (DBO).
This is a full-time position, but, part-time candidates will be considered. Occasional evenings and weekends based on the season schedule are required. Full-time employees are eligible for health & dental benefits. Specific responsibilities include:
• Oversee daily management of FW office, including telephone and reception; office supplies and maintenance
• Maintain institutional calendars, schedules, and monitor deadlines and deliverables
• Serve as Board of Director liaison for communications, records, agendas, minutes, and arrangements; handling confidential issues and information
• Assist senior management, coordinating activities, schedules and communications
• Provide personnel management support; such as staff searches, recruiting and helping to supervise interns
• Develop presentations, overviews and project schedules as directed
• Working under the supervision of the DBO, document our Standard Operating Procedures, and regularly review, update, and communicate process updates and reminders to staff
• Working under the supervision of the DBO, perform light bookkeeping functions such as data entry and draft report generation
• Under the supervision of the DBO, help develop standard project schedules for various initiatives
• Assist with preparing expense reports
• Note taking at meetings, and following up on assignments
• Maintain electronic and traditional files and archives
• Work closely with DBO and Director of Development to integrate, improve and manage CRM Database systems, data entry and reporting
• Provide support to annual campaign, donor cultivation and special events as needed
• Work with Program Manager to arrange artist lodging, travel and hospitality
• Help manage on-site box office and customer service/Point of Sale (POS) and Front of House (FOH) needs for all events
• Support for FirstWorks Box Office, including seating charts, ticket inventory and sales data for all self-managed performance and development events
• Gather data on ticket sales, finance, and programs; maintain records and prepare reports
• Coordinate distribution of marketing materials and media communications
• Support marketing and cross promotional efforts, including group sales, package and affinity group pricing
• Implement cross-promotional offers and communications with partners
• Manage/update mailing lists for distribution to a variety of constituents
• Bachelor’s degree required with minimum of 2-3 years of office management experience
• Excellent computer, database management, and proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, QuickBooks online, project management tools, and knowledge of SalesForce based CRM tool is helpful
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Welcoming presence: ability to generate enthusiasm for the organization, elicit cooperation, and get information over the phone, via email, and in person
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of Greater Providence, business community, creative community and some experience in interacting with the nonprofit arts & culture sector
• Commitment to connecting art with audiences and FirstWorks core values:
~Creativity and artistic excellence
~Arts and social impact
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health care (full-time only) and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts and bettering the lives of children in Providence and across Rhode Island. FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send:
• A cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples
• The names and contact information for 3 professional references
Send applications to to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include position title in subject line. Or by mail to FirstWorks, 275 Westminster Street Suite 501, Providence, RI 02903
MARKETING AND PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
There is an opportunity for a motivated, organized and creative intern to join the FirstWorks team. This person will gain hands-on experience in multiple aspects of program and marketing implementation, including educational and performance programs, artist liaison, outreach, and assisting in the general day-to-day operations of the FirstWorks office.
We are seeking interns who are available from 15 to 20 hours a week. Both graduate level and qualified under-graduate students may apply. The intern will report to Managing Director, Peter Bramante and work broadly with other members of the FirstWorks staff.
Scope of responsibilities includes:
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials, implement marketing functions/assist with social media etc.
• Assist with general office projects, data entry, and database reporting
• Assist Production with details relating to needs at upcoming educational & performance venues
• Assist with house management at FirstWorks events
Term: Position available for Fall and Winter 2017
Valuable skills include:
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong organizational ability
• Familiarity with CRM databases
• Strong social media skills
Required skills include:
• Fully fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• Available to staff events on week nights & weekends where needed
• Enthusiasm for the arts
Depending upon a candidate’s interests and skills, special projects such as box office management, production coordination, or sponsorship development may be devised as part of this internship.
FirstWorks brings exceptional world-class performing arts experiences to Rhode Island, impacting the cultural, educational and economic vitality of the community. Launched in 2004, FirstWorks has since produced 25 groundbreaking arts festivals and programs that have attracted more than 360,000 participants and presented over 60 premiere performances. FirstWorks has offered Rhode Islanders unprecedented access to some of the most exciting artists of this time, including Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Wynton Marsalis, Rosanne Cash, the Joffrey Ballet, and international masters from the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and Europe. The FirstWorks Arts Learning Program works with over 80 public and charter schools across Rhode Island to provide students, particularly those from underserved communities, direct connection with world-class performing artists and creative thinkers.
Please submit cover letter, resume, one writing sample, and two academic references to email@example.com.
***Be sure to include the term “Internship” in the subject line.***