Current career opportunities
FirstWorks is a fast-paced, growing non-profit arts organization dedicated to enhancing our community through world-class performing arts and education programs. FirstWorks curates two annual performing arts series and produces ground-breaking projects with renowned artists such as Yo-Yo Ma and Paul Taylor Dance Company. We are the proud Founding Partner of PVDFest, the City of Providence’s signature cultural celebration, which showcases the diversity and vibrancy of the Creative Capital. We also provide art education to 4,000 K-12 students at 30+ Rhode Island schools each year, helping fill the gap left from severe public spending cuts.
PR CONSULTANT – REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The PR Consultant’s role is to help develop key messages, implement PR strategy and to cultivate local, regional and national media to secure placements for FirstWorks event programming and institutional stories leading up to and during FirstWorks 15th anniversary season (events taking place from October 2018-May 2019).
FirstWorks has grown steadily since its founding in 2004. Now approaching its 15th season, FirstWorks seeks a Business Manager to develop efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization and support its three-year strategic plan. While managing operations is core to the role, equally important is supporting the creative spark that has built FirstWorks as a premiere multi-disciplinary performing arts curator in Rhode Island.
We are looking for a mission-driven, strategic, detail-oriented individual with superior project management and analytical skills to serve as FirstWorks Business Manager. The scope of responsibility includes administration, operational planning, technology management, and marketing.
Reporting to the Executive Artistic Director and serving as a member of the management team, the Business Manager will coordinate cost-effective operations, data functions, and administration. Additionally, the Business Manager will be part of the marketing team.
Both full-time and part-time applicants will be considered for this new position, which includes benefits. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
• Coordinate overall operations, planning, budgeting, and systems
• Streamline processes and practices for development, marketing, and administration
• Coordinate technology infrastructure improvements and manage upgrade to CRM database, utilizing
system capabilities and coordinating data management
• Manage contracts and vendors
• Manage organization budget, invoicing, and box office
• Coordinate sub-contractor agreements and payments
• Coordinate and implement systems for development reporting, billing/collection, and measurement to
support revenue generation and sponsorship fulfillment
• Contribute to developing and implementing sponsorship initiatives
• Bachelor’s or higher degree in business or related field required
• Minimum of 3 years related experience
• Computer and database management skills and proficient in Microsoft Office, QuickBooks online, and
project management tools; knowledge of Salesforce/PatronManager is an asset
• Communication skills, both verbal and written
• Analytical and numerical skills
• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills, initiative, and
• Commitment to FirstWorks core values: creativity and artistic excellence; partnership; art’s potential for
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health & dental care (full-time only) and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts, and bettering the lives of children across Rhode Island. FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send:
• Cover letter
• 1-3 multi-page work/writing samples—include one example of a project management document
• Contact information for 3 professional references
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include the position title in the subject line).
Or by mail at: FirstWorks, 275 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903
MARKETING AND PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
There is an opportunity for a motivated, organized and creative intern to join the FirstWorks team. This person will gain hands-on experience in multiple aspects of program and marketing implementation, including educational and performance programs, artist liaison, outreach, and assisting in the general day-to-day operations of the FirstWorks office.
We are seeking interns who are available from 15 to 20 hours a week. Both graduate level and qualified under-graduate students may apply. The intern will work broadly with other members of the FirstWorks staff.
Scope of responsibilities includes:
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials, implement marketing functions/assist with social media etc.
• Assist with general office projects, data entry, and database reporting
• Assist Production with details relating to needs at upcoming educational & performance venues
• Assist with house management at FirstWorks events
Term: Position available for Fall 2018
Valuable skills include:
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong organizational ability
• Familiarity with CRM databases
• Strong social media skills
Required skills include:
• Fully fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• Available to staff events on week nights & weekends where needed
• Enthusiasm for the arts
Depending upon a candidate’s interests and skills, special projects such as box office management, production coordination, or sponsorship development may be devised as part of this internship.
FirstWorks brings exceptional world-class performing arts experiences to Rhode Island, impacting the cultural, educational and economic vitality of the community. Launched in 2004, FirstWorks has since produced 25 groundbreaking arts festivals and programs that have attracted more than 360,000 participants and presented over 60 premiere performances. FirstWorks has offered Rhode Islanders unprecedented access to some of the most exciting artists of this time, including Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Wynton Marsalis, Rosanne Cash, the Joffrey Ballet, and international masters from the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and Europe. The FirstWorks Arts Learning Program works with over 80 public and charter schools across Rhode Island to provide students, particularly those from underserved communities, direct connection with world-class performing artists and creative thinkers.
Please submit cover letter, resume, one writing sample, and two academic references to email@example.com.
***Be sure to include the term “Internship” in the subject line.***