Current career opportunities
FirstWorks is a fast-paced, growing non-profit arts organization dedicated to enhancing our community through world-class performing arts and education programs. FirstWorks curates two annual performing arts series and produces ground-breaking projects with renowned artists such as Yo-Yo Ma and Paul Taylor Dance Company. We are the proud Founding Partner of PVDFest, the City of Providence’s signature cultural celebration, which showcases the diversity and vibrancy of the Creative Capital. We also provide art education to 4,000 K-12 students at 30+ Rhode Island schools each year, helping fill the gap left from severe public spending cuts.
BUSINESS OPERATIONS MANAGER
Now celebrating its 15th season, FirstWorks seeks a Business Operations Manager to support the implementation of its three-year strategic plan. While managing operations is core to the role, equally important is coordinating staff efforts to support the creative spark that has built FirstWorks as a premiere multi-disciplinary performing arts curator in Rhode Island.
We are looking for a mission-driven, strategic, detail-oriented individual with superior people, project management and analytical skills to serve as FirstWorks Business Operations Manager (BOM). The BOM will play both an internal and external role for the organization, aligning staff efforts and results as well as maintaining and developing external relationships. Reporting to the Executive Artistic Director and serving as a member of the management team, the BOM will oversee administrative and marketing staff.
Both full-time and part-time applicants will be considered for this position, which includes benefits. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Primary responsibilities are to manage general business functions – overall administration, operational planning, technology management, and marketing.
• Coordinate technology infrastructure improvements and manage upgrades to CRM database, utilizing system capabilities and coordinating data management
• Streamline operational processes and policies for Development, Marketing, Box Office, IT, and Finance
• Manage budget, contracts and vendors
• Coordinate and implement systems for development reporting, billing/collection, and contracts
• Manage and make improvements to CRM database, creating records and utilizing system capabilities
• Implement a robust contracts management/procurement, reporting
• Oversee administrative functions to ensure efficient operations
• Monitor implementation plans, adherence to deadlines, and metrics
• Develop systems and accountability procedures
• Manage handbook updates, employee benefits, and subcontractor agreements
• Expand and implement sponsorships
• Develop sales strategies to increase audience
• Measure ROI and campaign effectiveness
• Bachelor’s or higher degree in business, marketing, or related field required
• Minimum of 3-5 years related experience
• Knowledge/affinity for arts and culture
• Computer and database management skills and proficient in Microsoft Office, QuickBooks online, and project management tools; knowledge of Salesforce/PatronManager is an asset
• Communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
• Analytical and numerical skills
• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills, initiative, and follow-through
• Commitment to FirstWorks core values: creativity and artistic excellence; partnership; art’s potential for social impact
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health & dental care (full-time only) and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts, and bettering the lives of children across Rhode Island. FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send:
• Cover letter
• 1-3 multi-page work/writing samples—include one example of a project management document
• Contact information for 3 professional references
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include the position title in the subject line).
Or by mail at: FirstWorks, 275 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903
MARKETING AND PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
There is an opportunity for a motivated, organized and creative intern to join the FirstWorks team. This person will gain hands-on experience in multiple aspects of program and marketing implementation, including educational and performance programs, artist liaison, outreach, and assisting in the general day-to-day operations of the FirstWorks office.
We are seeking interns who are available from 15 to 20 hours a week. Both graduate level and qualified under-graduate students may apply. The intern will work broadly with other members of the FirstWorks staff.
Scope of responsibilities includes:
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials, implement marketing functions/assist with social media etc.
• Assist with general office projects, data entry, and database reporting
• Assist Production with details relating to needs at upcoming educational & performance venues
• Assist with house management at FirstWorks events
Term: Position available for Fall 2018
Valuable skills include:
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong organizational ability
• Familiarity with CRM databases
• Strong social media skills
Required skills include:
• Fully fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• Available to staff events on week nights & weekends where needed
• Enthusiasm for the arts
Depending upon a candidate’s interests and skills, special projects such as box office management, production coordination, or sponsorship development may be devised as part of this internship.
FirstWorks brings exceptional world-class performing arts experiences to Rhode Island, impacting the cultural, educational and economic vitality of the community. Launched in 2004, FirstWorks has since produced 25 groundbreaking arts festivals and programs that have attracted more than 360,000 participants and presented over 60 premiere performances. FirstWorks has offered Rhode Islanders unprecedented access to some of the most exciting artists of this time, including Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Wynton Marsalis, Rosanne Cash, the Joffrey Ballet, and international masters from the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and Europe. The FirstWorks Arts Learning Program works with over 80 public and charter schools across Rhode Island to provide students, particularly those from underserved communities, direct connection with world-class performing artists and creative thinkers.
Please submit cover letter, resume, one writing sample, and two academic references to email@example.com.
***Be sure to include the term “Internship” in the subject line.***