Current career opportunities
FirstWorks is a non-profit arts organization based in Providence, Rhode Island that enhances the vitality of our community through world-class performing arts and education programs. Celebrating our 15th anniversary season, FirstWorks is the only First Night festival in the country to become a year-round arts organization. FirstWorks’ annual season includes performances with artistic icons and ground-breaking innovators. We are the proud Founding Partner of PVDFest, the City of Providence’s signature cultural celebration that attracts 130,000 people. We also provide art education to over 4,000 K-12 students each year.
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
FirstWorks seeks a Director of Development (DoD) with an agile skillset and a commitment to FirstWorks’ mission. The DoD is a member of the senior management team with primary responsibility for corporate and individual giving. They connect donors, funders, sponsors and ticket-buyers to the organization through a variety of development strategies. The DoD must be an excellent writer, analytical thinker, and communicator capable of distilling information into a compelling case for the support of FirstWorks and working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Reporting to the Executive Artistic Director (EAD), the DoD will spearhead development efforts to achieve annual fundraising goals through the solicitation of gifts, grants and sponsorships. The DoD manages a portfolio of relationships with existing supporters and helps forge new relationships to build FirstWorks’ visibility, impact, and funding pipeline. They will contribute to all aspects of the organization’s fundraising strategy including sponsorship, the Annual Fund campaign, and the Curator’s Circle, FirstWorks’ premium donor membership program. The position oversees the Development Team and liaises with the Board of Directors on fundraising initiatives.
This is a full-time position.
FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace.
Responsible for meeting targets in annual fundraising, the DoD will actively work with the EAD and staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy:
• Oversee development and execution of all proposals and reports, working closely with the Grant Manager and occasionally writing proposals
• Conduct solicitations to secure gifts and sponsorships
• Coordinate/create written communications and donor communications to consistently message FirstWorks’ value
• Develop and steward ongoing relationships with major donors; coordinate a program for recognition, involvement and stewardship
• Research, qualify, and cultivate potential funding sources, in collaboration with the team
• Develop reports and reconcile with the FirstWorks Bookkeeper
• Manage PVDFest sponsorship acquisition and fulfillment
• Plan and manage the execution of cultivation events
• Oversee development communications including direct mail, newsletters, web-site updates, PowerPoints, and collateral
• Design and implement annual development plan
• Execute FirstWorks’ annual fund campaigns, executing a strategy for expanding a sustained base of annual individual donors
• Create and maintain the annual fundraising pyramid
• Oversee research of funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position FirstWorks ahead of major funding changes or trends
• Supervise maintenance of donor tracking data, utilizing FirstWorks CRM system
• Manage Board Development Committee
• Work with Development Team to ensure smooth day-to-day fundraising operations, data entry and gift processing
• Ensure integration with financial system tracking system; oversee the creation and operations of effective program evaluation tools, dashboards and reports
• Coordinate and manage Development Team and committees as assigned
• Monitor budget targets and provide reports
• Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred) with minimum 5 years of experience working with cultural nonprofits, including development and grant writing experience
• Excellent writer, creative and strategic thinker with ability to clearly articulate organizational mission, programs, and present FirstWorks in a compelling and effective manner
• Ability to represent the organization in donor conversations, and to identify and cultivate new donors
• Entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, and a sense of humor
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and initiative
• Welcoming spokesperson: ability to generate enthusiasm for the organization, elicit cooperation, and get information over the phone, via email, and in person
• Facile knowledge/user of software applications (i.e., word processing, spreadsheets, email, search engines, prospect research tools; databases), familiarity with SalesForce/Patron Manager a plus
• Familiarity with issues related to arts and education trends; understanding of and belief in FirstWorks’ mission
To apply, please submit current resume cover letter, one writing sample, and sample project management document to email@example.com.
The FirstWorks Administrative Coordinator assures the smooth operation of FirstWorks across office operations, data, and programs. Vital to the management of the entire organization, the AC must be highly organized and responsive to changing priorities. The AC manages office operational logistics from the mundane to the meaningful, providing broad support for Administration, Marketing, and Development. The AC reports to the Executive Coordinator.
This is a part-time permanent position, though full-time applicants may be considered. Occasional evenings and weekends based on the season schedule. Salary is commensurate with experience. Responsibilities include:
• Spearhead management of the office, including telephone, reception and technical troubleshooting
• Maintain institutional calendars and schedules
• Assist senior management, coordinating activities, schedules and communications
• Perform light bookkeeping functions and maintain office petty cash
• Perform note-taking at meetings and follow up on assignments and action items
• Help manage customer service and front of house needs for special events
Marketing and Development:
• Coordinate distribution of marketing materials and media communications
• Implement cross-promotional offers and communications with partners
• Manage/update mailing lists for distribution to a variety of constituents
• Provide support for social media campaigns and content creation
• Provide support to annual campaign, donor cultivation and special events as needed
• Support Development staff in tracking donations, donor communications, and annual campaign elements
• Work closely with Box Office and Development teams to improve and manage CRM Database systems
• Bachelor’s degree required with minimum of 2-3 years of administrative experience
• Computer literate and agile, with proficiency in Microsoft Office; knowledge of QuickBooks online, Asana, and/or PatronManager (SalesForce) is helpful
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Welcoming presence: ability to generate enthusiasm for the organization, elicit cooperation, and maintain a gracious and resourceful approach
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of Greater Providence and experience in interacting with the nonprofit arts and culture sector
• Commitment to connecting art with audiences, and FirstWorks core values: creativity and artistic excellence; community partnership; art’s potential for systematic social change
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and 1- to 3- multi-page work/writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org (include the position title in the subject line), or by mail at: FirstWorks, 275 Westminster St., Suite 501, Providence, RI 02903.
FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace.
There is an opportunity for motivated, organized, and creative interns to join the FirstWorks team. Interns will gain hands-on experience in various aspects of artistic production including event planning, development, education, and marketing activities. Duties may include implementing educational and performance programs, artist liaison, outreach, and assisting in the general day-to-day operations of the FirstWorks office.
We are seeking interns who are available from 15 to 20 hours per week. Both graduate level and qualified under-graduate students may apply.
Responsibilities will be customized to field of interest and may include:
• Work with FirstWorks Marketing Team to distribute promotional materials, implement marketing functions, and assist with social media
• Work directly with FirstWorks Education & Community Manager to implement educational &
outreach activities at schools & other venues
• Assist Development Coordinator with fundraising including mailings, printing, prospecting and database management
• Assist Program Director with details relating to logistics, artist needs, and technical needs for educational & public performances
• Assist with stage and/or house management at FirstWorks events
• Assist with all on-site, artist residency & educational activity requirements
Term: Positions available spring 2020
Valuable skills include:
• Attention to detail
• Strong organizational ability
• Enthusiasm for the arts
• Working knowledge of CRM databases
Required skills include:
• Fully fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
• Available to staff events on week nights & weekends when needed
Depending upon a candidate’s interests and skills, special projects may be devised as part of this internship.
To apply, Please submit cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to Holly Taylor: email@example.com.